Hey friends I’m back. Curd rice also known as dahi chawal or even popular and my personal favourite masur anna in Karnataka takes me back to my college days, when I was studding in Bangalore. The dish reminds me of my college, the canteen n the endless times I’ve had this south Indian delicacy. My friends used to ask me don’t I get bugged eating the same thing every day but trust me I never did. And its one thing I still can have every single day. My fondness for curd rice goes on increasing every time I prepare it. It soothes your mind body n soul altogether. In my house the meal is never complete without a bowl of this heavenly serving. Guys go ahead and enjoy it with a pickle of your choice.
Prep time: 10mins Cooking time: 30-40mins Serves: 04 people
- Rice (4 cups)
- Curd ( 1 bowl beaten, 500ml)
- Milk (1 glass, 250ml)
- Mustard seeds ( 1/2 tsp)
- Curry leaves (6-8 leaves)
- Roasted channa dal (1 tbsp)
- Groundnuts (1tbsp)
- Asafoetida (1/2 tsp)
- Pomegranate seeds (1/2 cup, seasonal availability)
- Grapes (1/4 cup chopped, seasonal availability)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Oil (2 tbsp)
- Cook the rice using 6-7 cups of water with a pinch of salt
and once done mash it a little using a masher. Keep it aside to cool
down while you ready the other things.
- Prepare tadka using a hot oil pan. Throw in the mustard seeds and on suppletring add curry leaves followed by roasted channa dal, groundnuts, and a pinch of asafoetida. Sauté for 2 mins. Switch off the gas and keep aside.
- Add milk to the cooled rice and let it stand for 10 mins.
- Now add the beaten curd to the rice bowl followed by adding
tadka and mix well.
- Lastly add pomegranate seeds and blend well. Garnish with a mint leaf and serve cold.
- You can refrigerate the rice for some time before consuming. It tastes best when served cold.