Hi guys!! It’s been a while since I posted a new recipe, so I am back with a bang. Today I am presenting a recipe straight from my mom’s kitchen which I have relished since my childhood!! Kashmiri Dum Aloo!! It’s one of favourites. Here is the recipe for all of you to enjoy the flavours of Kashmir. Try it today, and tell me how it was.... Happy cooking!!
Prep time: 20mins Cooking time: 40mins Serves: 3-4 people
- Potato / Aloo (500gm, small to medium sized, 8 to 10 in number)
- Clove / Laung powder (1/2 tsp)
- Black cardamom / Badi elachi (1-2, crushed in mortar & pestle)
- Red chilli / Lal mirch powder (1 tsp)
- Garam masala powder (1 tsp)
- Fennel / Saunf powder (2 tsp)
- Oil (for deep frying)
- In a pressure cooker steam the potatoes for 4-5 whistles and allow them to cool. Once they cool down, peel off the skin and poke the potatoes (preferably thru and thru) using a fork or a tooth pick, as shown in the picture.
- Now heat copious amount of oil in a pan and deep fry the potatoes until they turn golden brown and crispy. Remove and an absorbent tissue paper.
- In a separate pan heat 1 tbsp oil and throw in the spices (clove powder, crushed black cardamom, red chilli powder, fennel powder, garam masala) and sauté for 3-5mins.
- Add the deep fried potatoes to it and mix well. Now add 2 cups of water to the whole mix and let it boil.
- Cover the lid and cook the potatoes for nearly 20-30mins, while turning them in between the whole procedure.
- Once done transfer the contents to a bowl and serve hot with rice.
- Poking potatoes help them get fried deep from inside, making them light and crispy. Also it helps soak in the flavours of the curry.
- 1 cup = 250ml.