Hi friends. I am back after a long time being Christmas and holiday season. So first of all Happy New Year……. Let’s start this New Year with a yummy and simple enough recipe, Rava Fish Fry!!
This recipe takes me to my Cochin days. You get a variety of fresh and tasty fishes in Cochin. And in a typical Malyali household everyday you will have some or other Fish dish on the table. Though Rava fish fry is a very common recipe throughout the country, the marinating process and ingredients differ from place to place.
The fish I have used in this recipe is White Pomfret but you can try the same recipe with other variety of fishes as well like Grey Pomfret, Mackerel. Even Steaks (slices/cutlets) of King fish can be made using the same recipe.
Prep time: 30mins Cooking time: 10mins Serves: 02 people
- White Pomfret / Paplet 250 gm (you can use one big fish or two to three smaller fishes)
- Red chilli / lal mirch powder (1tsp)
- Turmeric / haldi powder (1tsp)
- Garam masala powder (1tbsp)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Lemon juice/ nimbu rass (2 tbsp, freshly squeezed)
- Semolina / rava / suji (2tbsp)
- Oil (for frying)
- Clean the fish and de-gut it, wash and keep aside for water to drain.
- Meanwhile prepare the paste for marination by mixing all the masala (red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt) with the help of lemon juice.
- Take the fish and make 4-5 oblique slits on both the sides of the fish, depending on the size of the fish.
- Now marinate the fish by rubbing the above mentioned paste evenly over it and into the slits.
- Keep the fish in the deep freezer for 15mins.
- In a plate
take semolina (rava). Remove fish from the freezer and coat it with a even layer
of semolina (rava) .
- Heat adequate amount oil in a pan and deep fry the semolina coated fish in it for 7-8mins.
- Once the fish turns golden brown, take it out of the oil carefully as the fish is very delicate. Drain the excess oil on an absorbent tissue paper.
- Serve hot.
- If it’s a small fish 2-3 slits will be enough.
- For an enhanced experience serve the fish with Mint-Coriander (Pudina-Dhaniya) Chutney.